Asphalt is a commonly used roofing material that comes with a wide range of benefits, but tile roofs are certainly not without their benefits as well. Here’s a quick look at the primary advantages of shingle vs. tile roofs in Glendora, CA so you can determine which material is likely to be best for your roof.
Benefits of asphalt shingles
- Attractive: Asphalt shingles come in a wide range of colors to complement your roof, and some might even be able to mimic the look of shakes or slate.
- Affordable: Asphalt is highly cost effective for roofing purposes, and often will give you the best value for your money in terms of durability and attractiveness.
- Low maintenance: Asphalt is easy to install and has relatively few maintenance requirements compared to other types of roofing materials.
- Versatile: Not only does asphalt come in a wide range of appearances and colors, but it can also be used for very steep or angled roofing, thanks in large part to its great simplicity.
- Sustainable: Asphalt shingles can be recycled for use in paving or other applications when removed from roofs. This means you don’t have to worry about what will happen to the old shingles when it’s time to replace your roof.
- Quiet: Asphalt shingles dampen sound, which means when it rains or hails you don’t have to worry about the sound being nearly as loud as it would be with other materials. It also helps to dampen some of the noise that comes from traffic or neighbors, so you can have a peaceful, quiet home at all times.
Benefits of tile roofs
- Variety: One of the biggest advantages of tile roofs in Glendora, CA is that they come in a massive variety of colors, styles and designs. Concrete and clay tiles come in many natural colors or can be dyed to match any other colors on your home for a complementary aesthetic. These tiles also come in many different designs to match the architectural style of your home.
- Durability: Tile roofs are highly fire resistant and are designed to withstand very strong winds, up to 150 miles per hour. Tiles are also more hail resistant than other softer materials. Their durability provides them the lowest life cycle cost of any roofing material you’ll find on the market, as some tile roofs are capable of lasting for centuries.
- Sustainability: Beyond that low life cycle cost, it’s important to note that materials for tile roofs do not deplete limited resources and do not involve the use of chemicals in production.
- Maintenance: Tile roofs can be easy to repair because you can replace individual tiles rather than having to pull up whole sections of your existing roof.
- Airflow: Natural ventilation directly below the tiles create a heat transfer barrier that helps create some extra insulation.
These are just a few examples of some of the biggest advantages of both tile and shingle roofs in Glendora, CA. If you’re interested in learning more about the various roofing options and which is right for you, we encourage you to contact Dowd Roofing Co. with any questions you have.